The Diane Glasser Memorial Scholarship Application
Diane Glasser was born in Brooklyn and graduated from James Madison High School before attending the Madison Business School. After school, she began working as a bookkeeper and manager of the family business in New York until moving to Tamarac with her late husband in 1973. Soon after arriving, she became involved in politics.
Diane became politically active while serving on various boards in Broward County, including the Broward School Board, the Senior Advisory Task Force, and the Broward Human Rights Board. U.S. Congressman, Alcee Hastings, categorized Diane Glasser as a "powerhouse of Broward County politics" whose "contributions will no doubt be remembered for years to come."
Diane eventually moved to Kings Point, in Tamarac, where she encouraged members of the community to both vote and campaign for the candidates they supported. Diane served on the City Commission in Tamarac from 1991 to 1992, and again from 2008 to 2016.
Diane’s civic responsibility and community engagement helped make Broward County a better place. The Diane Glasser Memorial Scholarship is dedicated to furthering the legacy she built as an early champion of social justice and equality in the Black and LGBTQ+ Communities and Broward County at large.
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must have:
- Lived in the City of Tamarac for at least one year and currently reside in District 4
- Transcripts verifying a minimum cumulative unweighted grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Verified proof of community service in Broward County
- Registration for the Summer or Fall of 2021 in an accredited undergraduate or vocational program, or a letter of acceptance to a college, university, or vocational school for graduating high school seniors
- Two letters of recommendation; including one letter from a current or former teacher
- An original 500-word essay highlighting your educational aspirations, future goals, and why you believe public service is important.
Visit tamarac.me/district4map to make sure you live in District 4.